Language learning across the generations!
Learning another language has a huge number of benefits - for all ages! Did you know that learning a second language can protect against Alzheimer’s? Bilingualism can protect older adults, even after Alzheimer's disease is beginning to affect cognitive function. Researchers think this protection stems from brain differences between those who speak one language and those who speak more than one.
Our classes bring learners of all generations together, older learners, children and their parents!
The additional benefits are incredible for everyone:
- Provide an opportunity for both to learn new skills
- Give the child and the older adult a sense of purpose
- Help to alleviate fears children may have of the elderly
- Help children to understand and later accept their own ageing
- Invigorate and energise older adults
- Help reduce the likelihood of depression in the elderly
- Reduce the isolation of older adults
- Fill a void for children who do not have grandparents available to them
- Help keep family stories and history alive
- Aide in cognitive stimulation as well as broaden social circles should a youth introduce technology into the life a senior